Hi,

Soekris just replaced a 2+ year old net6501 of mine that had similar symptoms. And there have been several similar cases mentioned on this list.

Following is a copy of the description that I sent to Soekris. They just replaced the board; they never said what was wrong. Anyone from Soekris want to tell us what this problem is?

/Lon

----

Brief description of problem:

Machine doesn’t (usually) even make it to POST. The Power and Error LEDs go on, and then it hangs. uManager is accessible, but the “reset”, “power cycle”, etc commands do not (usually) manage to clear the problem.

Detailed description of problem:

The problem first showed up some weeks ago, when rebooting for a software update. Initially, using the “reset” command in uManager worked to clear up the problem. But after a few reboots, it stopped having any effect. I even tried reflashing the BIOS. This completed without error, but did not have any effect on the problem.

After leaving the machine unplugged for several days, it did manage to boot once. However, the problem returned almost immediately.

I have tried using a different power supply, with no effect. I tried disconnecting all hardware (other than the console cable), also with no effect.

The machine has been running behind a UPS, connected to network switches that are also behind the UPS. I have not noticed any power surges that might have damaged the machine. The failure just came “out of the blue”.

This appears to be the same problem reported on the mailing list a few times, e.g.:
http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2013-September/019077.html
http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2013-November/019110.html