Just to add to the discussion, when I made EssGeo (a geometry plugin,
http://www.boundingboxgames.com/tools/essgeo) I had to disable a couple of
features due to problems with cluster management. Namely, a random cluster
op and a greeble op. I think they could have been pretty useful tools.

I made an imgur gallery that showed the features I had to abandon, check it
out here: http://imgur.com/a/5T7v0

It’s been a while since I wrote all this, but if memory serves I couldn’t
find what I needed for cluster management in the C++ API, so I had to resort
to this sort of thing which basically builds a VB command to make changes to
clusters:

CString prefix = cluster.GetFullName() + L", " + pname + L".poly[";

if(ecount > 0)

{

CString arg = prefix + L"0-" + CString(CValue(pcount-1)) + L"]";

args[0] = arg;

status = Application().ExecuteCommand(L"RemoveFromCluster", args, val);

DEBUG_ASSERT_OK(status);

}

This of course is pretty slow compared to a proper native API, but it
generally solved that part of the problem and in practice wasn’t a
performance problem since clusters didn’t change all the time.

Unfortunately I had to yank these features because I could never get them
stable. Changing anything that changed cluster data had the potential to
crash Softimage. I usually assume when something doesn’t work that it’s my
fault, because there always seems to be a tendency for things to actually
turn out to be my fault the moment I point the finger somewhere else, but in
this case I wound up convinced the cluster management internals of Softimage
was buggy and there was nothing I could do about it. I’d love to be wrong so
I could fix my plugin but this thread suggests otherwise.

If someone on the Softimage dev team would like the source code to this
plugin along with an already-built version with these features enabled in
order to fix the crash and see a specific example of what cluster API
changes would be useful,  I’d be happy to provide it.

-Eric Cosky