Oil on my fire.
That cluster SDK restriction really really sucks. It is the reason why there never were any good topology/modelling addons from 3rd parties, which leads to stagantion if there aren't any new "factory" modelling tools brought also. In 3ds max or Maya, all kinds of plugins are available, completely natural. Not so in Softimage. The few ICE modelling tools like Cap are nice, but slow. Native code is nice and fast.

Luc-Eric mentioned once, ICE was meant to be the "new SDK", that's why this cluster update mechanism has been implemented for ICE already.
Imho that's an excuse. ICE complements the SDK, it is NOT a replacement!
Cluster updates should be supported by the SDK as well, even if it is complicated, and thus somewhat of a challenge for a 3rd party dev.
Try us! Provide a good code example alongside, and we'll do fine.

Be wise and do it. Please.