From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Maurice Patel
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:34 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: A more graceful retirement - my counter offer

He beats me I have only been in it since 1995 :) But I was at Softimage when
Sumatra and DS were both COM based applications on a shared code base and it
was a massive struggle to get those products shippable, Using this reasoning
you could also argue that capabilities like the FX Tree and the warper were
neutered copy & pastes of technology from Media Illusion and Elastic Reality.
No code base is without its pros and cons. The SI engineers did amazing work
over the years redesigning the product - including the addition of ICE which
was never part of the original design - so don't underestimate the
effectiveness of redesign versus building something new. And Maya was not
'pasted together' It was just designed with a different design philosophy and
one that proved very fruitful in enabling it to be extensively extended as a
pipeline tool. In recent years we have been redesigning many areas of the
application and will continue to do so.
maurice