From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Tim Leydecker
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:59 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Autodesk webinar

Hi Maurice,

thanks for confronting this situation and the consequences.

Personally, I am not happy about the end of Softimage´s development.
I´ve come to like Softimage the most from the 3 DCC apps. XSI, Maya and 3dsMax.

That said, I give Autodesk credit for starting to branchout development and
research during the last couple of years, including actually taking more risks
than just resorting to rudimentarily developing a specific feature for a
specific program.

It seems there has been a shift to first go and do a fundamental research, then
see where and how this advance can be utilized across the range of individual
apps.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Not all those fundamental ideas make it.
I try to remember that now and generally welcome this broader approach to
advancing things.

One thing I´d like to ask for, thought.

Please don´t fall for the cloud concept. It is not desireable, not even for
vendor licensing...

It is common in the VFX/commercials industry to deny internet access to actual
workstations.

Any such services requiring a internet connections has to be abandoned because
it violates contracts with clients and poses a security risk and a
business/financial risk.

Cheers,

tim

P.S: http://www.youtube.com/user/Autodesk/videos gives some examples about the
other softwares/services Autodesk is developing and the progress made in other
areas hopefully affecting 3d and VFX.