Not to add to the conspiracy theories here, BUT..... could it be the plan
of Autodesk all along was to give M&E a try, but not enough to succeed?
 The reason being this - they want to emulate the IBM model.  Buy patents &
intellectual property, then collect royalties.

It requires no R&D, no developers, no support team, nothing but lawyers and
accountants.

Think of all the tech Autodesk has bought over the years.  So they murder
Softimage, and give less and less attention to their products each year,
eventually killing Max, Mudbox, Motion Builder, etc.  And finally the
proclaim Bifrost a failure, and retire Maya.

IBM is still around because they are a patent machine, not because they
make computers.

-Paul