I’ve been looking around at alternatives to Softimage and not having any luck.
Modo have some great features, but the interface is just crap. There are way
too many different layouts for things that should mostly be done in one or
maybe 2 different layouts. Things like snapping rotations (or snapping in
general) seem to require you to click checkboxes or be enabled in other menus
where in Softimage, you can just hold down a modifier key to enable most of
those functions without dropping your current tool.  Modo seems full of tons of
one use tools, whereas in Softimage I have a few tools that I use most of the
time that cover 99% of what I need to do. I was looking up rigging in Modo the
other day and it’s a mess. After you draw out you bones you have to go in
manually and correct all your individual joint rotations so they work
correctly. In the amount of time the guy built a basic spine I could have had
the entire character skeleton done in Softimage with working IK. After massing
with Modo for a short time I usually give up in frustration at the terribly
slow and clunky interface. Sure I could probably get used to it in time and be
productive, but why should I have to settle for such and inferior and slow UI
and workflow. The whole layer based approach to modeling makes me want to punch
kittens.

I also tried Blender which seems to get a lot of praise because it is free and
has all these gee-whiz features, but again, the interface on that program is
horrid. Sure it’s better than the old one, but it’s still terrible. Also, all
the development seems to be on these qee-whiz features and some things like
beveling are mostly useless. This is one of the problems with open source
programs, no one wants to write the simple mundane features, they would rather
write the big flashy features so they can brag about them and the simple tools
get left unfinished, on never even added.

When I initially switched from lightwave to Softimage, everything was just
amazing. The workflow was amazing, the documentation and tutorials were some of
the best I’d ever seen at the time (these have both declined since Autodesk
took over). Being able to get help with a tool by hitting  F1 while in the tool
and having the help open to the information for that tool was just amazing.
Being able to crate basic tools or automat repetitive tasks by just copying
from the history to the script editor was great and allowed me to do things I
could never have done with my meager scripting abilities. All the things that
make Softimage a great tool have been in there for years most of them since V4
or 5 which was the time I started using it. It’s just mind boggling that there
really isn’t another program out there that even comes close to workflow and
ease of use that Softimage has had for years. Where I work I do 3d animation
part time, sometimes not using Softimage for weeks, and it’s great that
Softimage has such a great interface where I can still find even the most
rarely used tool without spending tons of time searching for it. With Modo I
have trouble finding tools I used 5 minutes ago.

So I’m probably going to be sticking with Softimage for quite some time.

On a side note, it looks like Autodesk is putting even less effort into
developing Mudbox than it is with Softimage, so I gave 3- Coat another try and
I’m really impressed with it. I hated it when I used it several years ago, but
now it blows Mudbox out of the water and is much, much more user friendly that
the mess that is called Zbrush. I did some retopo work with 3d-coat recently
and I like it much, much more than Topogun. I absolutely love the Voxel
sculpting tools. So, it looks like Autodesk is going to be missing out on any
future money from me.