RANT WARNING! This started out as a reply to Sergio about Modo, but quickly
turns into a rant as I keep running across absolutely moronic issues with this
stupid program. If you have no interest in Modo you probably should just skip
this whole post.

Looks like my problem was that in Softimage I can start rotating an object and
hit SHIFT at any time to snap the rotations, but in Modo  you have to hold the
CTRL key before you start rotating.

F11 in Modo pops up a menu that allows you to enable one kind of snap (as far
as I can tell)  where in SI I can enable multiple kinds of snapping at once and
I don’t even have to turn it on. If I’m modeling or animating and I decide I
want to snap to a vertice, or object or anything, I just have to Hold down CTRL
and snapping is turned on until I let go of CTRL. In Modo I have to stop
whatever I’m doing and move my mouse up and click on snapping to turn it on and
if it’s not set to the type of snap I want I then have to hit F11 to open the
snapping menu and chose what I wanted to snap to. Just a terrible and
disruptive workflow. On top of that the snapping in Modo seems very weak. I
didn’t even realize I had snapping on at first because if you move the mouse
sort of fast it’s not really noticeable. Maybe there’s a setting to change it,
but out of the box, it’s pretty terrible.

I took a look at the Cadjunkie Zen layout and it’s an improvement in the
layout, but it really doesn’t fix the real problem I have with Modo, which is
the way that the tools work. Despite all my complaining about Modo, I really
want to like the program. The features look good (on paper at least) and I
owned an early copy of Modo before I switched to Softimage and I can get Modo
801 for an extremely cheap upgrade price. Unfortunately all I see when I use
this program is a more advanced version of Lightwave with most of the issues
that eventually made me stop using Lightwave in the first place. It’s also
inconsistent, for example if you select an edge and chose bevel, it bevels it,
but if you select a polygon and chose bevel it does and extrude with an inset…
Completely different behavior. Then there are redundant tools like scale and
uniform scale, which seem to do the exact same thing. And rotate and axis
rotate, which seems to be pretty much the same thing, except the axis rotate
only work son one axis and rotates around wherever you click. Why not just move
your center and use the rotate tool?

I also noticed while messing with bevels and rounded edges is that dragging on
the numeric entry arrows (you know, the little arrows you drag to increase the
numbers instead of typing them in), is terrible. There is ZERO feedback on how
many edges you have added until you let go. I did this on a model that couldn’t
have had more than 100 edges, but because there was no feedback on the round
level as I drug the little arrow thing around when I let go I had a value of 80
for the round level and it completely locked the program up for so long I
finally had to kill it. On many of the tools, there is ZERO visual feedback
when using the number arrow things (on tools such as extrude) until you hit
apply. Select a polygon and hit extrude and when you drag on the little arrow
widget thing the numbers increase of decrease, but nothing moves un the
viewport until you hit apply! What is this 1990? Why can’t this program display
the changes that are happening when I adjust the numeric values for the
extrude?

To make things even worse, when switching between quad view and a single view
of any of the viewports the framing changes. Frame up and object while in quad
view so it fills all the viewports and then switch any of them to a single view
(0 on the num pad) and you now have tons of room around the objects. If you
frame it up in a single view and switch to quad, the everything that was near
the edge of the viewport is now outside of the view. It gets even worse though,
because your zoom setting for all the iso views are connected. Zoom in in the
top and you are zooming in in the front and side view.. Why? Oh, and I just
noticed it does the same when panning in the ISO views… WHY? This is terrible!

While I’m talking about views, is it just me or is there way too much lens
distortion/fisheye in the perspective views compared to … pretty much every
other 3d program out there? Maybe It’s accurate for a camera, but it really
suck when you are trying to model something like a human head when the
perspective seems to change as you get closer to the model. I’ve never had an
issue with this in any other 3d programs, but I remember having issues with it
when I used the program years ago and I noticed it right away when using 701
and it’s really bugging me again.

I am seriously getting angry about this. This is one of the youngest 3d
programs out, these guys had the opportunity to look at all the existing
programs like XSI, Maya and MAX and what did they do? They made a slightly
better version of the Lightwave interface. They based this new Next-Gen 3d
program off of one of the WORST UI’s in the 3d industry and from what I can see
didn’t even bother looking at any of the other programs out there other than
maybe a feature list. Sure that have all these gee-whiz features, but the part
of the program you deal with to get anything done is just crap. I am completely
disgusted by how poorly thought out this program really is. It’s really
sickening.