Zbrush for characters I can see, but for Hard Surface above something like
Maya’s sudivs? I’m not quite sure.

And, whether anyone is prepared to admit it Maya’s tools have seen a big
improvement, to a point where they reduced the need to even retopo in something
like 3Dcoat or even UVlayout.

Personally I’d put them above Max and even Softs. Soft’s weren’t bad by any
means, but Maya’s improvements in this area have started to put it ahead in
this area.

I’d put Modo as the closest competitor in this area now.

I’m with you on a lot of everything else, but the problem that Houdini faces is
the same as what we had with pushing Softimage/ICE. When faced with a studio
that uses Maya/Max (for better or for worse), with a bunch of plugins/tools,
unless faced with some a certain situation, they don’t really see a reason to
switch.

They may like Houdini a lot, but they can do everything they need and more with
what they have, so they see no reason to be burdened with the cost and upheaval
of moving.

But who knows, I think the landscape has changed dramatically and is in many
ways, still changing. I think the next 12-18months could be very interesting in
terms of software out there.