See for yourself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYNWzQWeHU
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYNWzQWeHU&spfreload=10> &spfreload=10

And you will find hundreds of examples that showcase how good Zbrush is on the
hard surface modelling.

*       I’m still not completely convinced tbh. It’s great what people do, but
for automotive you wouldn’t really do that. We couldn’t work like that and it’s
actually easier to retopo from the CAD anyway.

True, Retopo has been improved a lot with the addition of the new tools but UV
work in Maya was broken last time we used it…

...that was 6 months ago so there wasn’t a lot to celebrate on my corner.

I may be missing something… what I have seen so far is small improvements over
old toolsets but I would love to see advanced bevelling, complex boleans and in
Maya that prove me wrong.

- I would say the improvements have been significant, but might depend on the
benchmark they’re marked against. NEX was implemented, then build upon, then
old legacy removed. Broken is a strong word and not 100% true, but I agree UVs
still need work, but the nips and tucks they’ve done have been good. Feedback
from Maya users was generally positive. I haven’t fully looked at Maya 2017
yet, but comments haven’t been great.

IMHO I am afraid Modo is on a league on its own on all things modelling.

*       I would agree a lot with that, but my comparison was against more
general usage. And for all of Modo’s power, personally I don’t see more
widespread adoption. I always here of this mass migration away from Max/Maya,
but I’ve yet to see it. The Foundry have to press a lot harder here. I think
many just seem to default to Maya or Max.

Different context, AD has made sure we have to choose.

For the studios using Softimage the burden is unavoidable and the costs are now
with H16 not too dissimilar so I can see a good scenario unfolding.

For those using Maya I am not sure, I am inclined to think it would probably
depend on the work they do vs the costs to produce that work, that will be the
trigger.

Said that, the costs of freelancers, training and adaptation are different so
as long as there is talent available, this things in on.

*       I agree in terms of Soft users and studios, your hand was forced. For
others, the factors you mention do have a baring and the biggest influence. We
use mainly Max, which I Ioathe, but it gets the job done and does what we ask
of it for what we do. In our context, Houdini unfortunately offers us little or
nothing. I’d gladly take Fabric as a tools framework though.