De : David Hankins [mailto:dhank...@google.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 21 janvier 2011 22:27
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed OLNC/NAD/TIP
Cc : Alain Durand; softwires@ietf.org list; Softwire Chairs
Objet : Re: [Softwires] WG last call on
draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-option-07

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 11:42 PM,
<mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com<mailto:mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com>>
 wrote:
This version is almost Ok. I still have two comments:

Thank you for your constancy in review and participation.

I suggest to change

"It SHOULD NOT permit the configuration of multiple names within one
  AFTR-Name option."

"It MUST NOT permit the configuration of multiple names within one
  AFTR-Name option."

So far as I'm aware, DHCPv6 servers today do not implement any restriction on
how many names can be configured if the server is informed that the format of
the new option is the RFC 3315 format domain name (in fact, in ISC DHCP's v6
implementation, I called the atom to do RFC 3315 domain names a "domain list"
atom).

>From my point of view it can be validated that only one option can be
>configured, but Ted has reminded me that this is not the case in all currently
>conforming DHCPv6 server implementations.

So this would mean that current DHCPv6 implementations could not conform to
specification without software changes, something I was trying to avoid
(incompletely) with the "MUST / SHOULD" language this version of the draft had.

"
  If the client receives more than one AFTR-Name option, it MUST use
  only the first instance of that option.

  If the AFTR-Name option contains more than one FQDN, as distinguished
  by the presence of multiple root labels, the client MUST use only the
  first FQDN listed in configuration.
"

To "If the DHCP Client receives more than one AFTR-Name option or if the
AFTR-Name option contains more than one FQDN, the DHCP Client MUST ignore the
received AFTR-Name option(s))".

I think this would require a software change in current DHCPv6 client
implementations.  I can't speak for B4 implementations, but if I were a B4
implementor, I would also be concerned that if I conformed to this direction
and some other (it only takes one) B4 implementation didn't, then my software
would not work where other software does, and this reasoning would not be very
obvious to customers.

If we're shaping conformance language away from concrete validation and towards
current implementation practice, then I think we should do it both on the
server and client side.

(2) Multi-interface use case: this text has been introduced in 07:

"   Note that a client may have multiple network interfaces, and these
  interfaces may be configured differently; some may be connected to
  networks that call for DS-Lite, and some may be connected to networks
  that are using normal dual stack or other means.  The client should
  consider the above on an interface-by-interface basis.  For example,
  if the client is attached to multiple networks that provide the AFTR
  Name option, then the client MUST configure a tunnel for each
  interface separately as each DS-Lite tunnel provides IPv4
  connectivity for each distinct interface."

The text does not elaborate on how an interface is identified and how the
server/client will proceed to enforce the received configuration for the
appropriate interface. BTW, this issue is not specific to DS-Lite and it is
generic to any MIFed device.

For this reason, I didn't want to elaborate.  The goal is to include text that
reminds the implementor that perhaps they should not follow a mindset that they
will have only one B4 element on their system, in the case where they plan to
have multiple external network interfaces, since we just finished explaining
carefully that there should be only one domain name sent to configuration.  The
danger is that they may configure only one tunnel endpoint, either having only
one B4 element running, or multiple endpoints for each interface all using some
single endpoint.  These would all be bad decisions, which may seem reinforced
by the specification's demand for a single name.

Can you suggest simpler language?

--
David W. Hankins
SRE

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended
solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
France Telecom Group shall not be liable for the message if altered, changed or
falsified.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it
immediately and inform the sender.