On Feb 1, 2011, at 4:22 PM, David Hankins wrote:
> Thank you, I will wait a bit and see how Ted responds before making any
> changes.  For the moment we have what is hopefully a compromise between a
> two-person consensus.

You specify "MUST" when you want the implementation to enforce the behavior.
We do not want implementations to have to support option-specific behavior.
Hence, we should not use MUST.

However, this is not to say that implementations receiving these options should
be required to deal with erroneous results; it's simply that the server should
be allowed to return extra data if it's configured to do so; the consumer of
the data (not the DHCP client, which is merely a transport mechanism for the
data) should be responsible for making sense of it, or rejecting it if the
server was configured to send something bogus.