Dear Nejc,

On 2011/08/17, at 22:58, Nejc Škoberne wrote:

> Dear Gang,
>
>>> as far as I can understand your draft, you make NAPT44 in the CE obligatory.
>>
>> [Gang] Yes. This is to avoid the problem where there are applications
>> that attempt
>> to bind to specific ports that are not part of the allowed port range.
>
> Well, if the application/operating system supports the
> standard/protocol/technology, then it should only bind to the port, which
> CPE would normally use to translate source ports of the packets. If there
> is no such operating system/application, NAPT44 must be used, of course.
>
>>> However, this is not the case for 4rd, dIVI, SA46T-AS and Lightweight
>>> 4over6 A+P drafts.
>>
>> [Gang] I guess this is always the case for port constrained mechanisms.
>
> Of course. But you could support various scenarios in the scope of your draft,
> not only the common "CPE" one.

We assume that all applications/OSes doesn't aware port restricted environment.
However, there is a case where an application would be allocated a port which
is inside of port set occasionally.

>>> So I suggest that you make it optional in 4via6 translation as
>>> well, since it might
>>> be desired for some environments to connect hosts supporting 4via6
>>> translation
>>> technology, directly to the IPv6 network. In this case, you don't need
>>> the translator.
>>
>> [Gang] Could you help to elaborate the environment ?
>
> Sure. I can imagine a Linux implementation of "4via6 translation
> support". If enabled, the TCP/IP stack would only bind to specific ports
> (from the range). If you check the section III./C of the following paper:
>
> http://zhuyc.info/globecom08mivi.pdf
>
> the authors propose a modification "to the system call related to bind()
> in the socket library of the operating system".

The modification of 'to the system call related to bind()' is out of scope in
our draft.

> Then I could just connect my home gateway-server directly to the ISPs
> network, providing support for "4via6 translation" and that's it.
>
> Also, I see is as a use case in non-ISP environments, where you could
> have IPv6-only, but 4via6 enabled server networks, with servers supporting
> "4via6 translation". Like SA46T-AS, for example.
>
> The main advantage of all this is of course that the IPv4 address is then
> natively configured on the (virtual) interface.
>
> --
>
> Other than that, I still am very curious what are the differences between
> your draft and draft-xli-behave-divi-03. I would be very happy if you could
> elaborate on that.

IMHO, address mapping rule and port distribution algorithm are the difference.
Let me think that if 4rd is configured with 'DomainIPv6Prefix ==
2001:db8::/32', 'CEIPv6PrefixLength == /72' and 'Domain4rdPrefix == 0/0' for
example. 40bits EA-bits are divided to 32bits IPv4 address part and 8bits
port-set ID part. The length of the port-set ID expresses that address sharing
ratio. The bits pattern of the port-set ID expresses port-set index of modulo
operation, described in the divi.

cheers,
--satoru