Re-,

Thanks Alain for the answers. Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

Med: Ok, got it. This is the same as per draft-cui-*.

> In 'compatibility' mode, if the CPE fails to enforce the
> proper port range, the AFTR will perform a second level of NAT.

Med: If the ultimate target is to remove the NAT module from the AFTR, I would
see this compatibility mode as an implementation detail. BTW, why a CPE will
fail to restrict the port? I see at least two cases:
(1) want to grab more ports but this is not legitimate; I would vote for
discarding those packets instead of NATing them.
(2) the CPE does not support port-restriction: in that case why not use classic
DS-Lite instead of NATing twice.

>       (*) Question 3: If the public IP address assigned by the AFTR is
>       not known to the port-restricted CPE, some applications may fail
>       (referral).  How the CPE will make a distinction between the
>       external IP address to be assigned in the WAN and the
> one used in
>       the AFTR?  If UPnP is used, the WAN IP address should not be
>       returned.
>
> In SD-Nat, the sd-CPE knows the external address via DHCPv4 over IPv6

Med: Ok, thanks. So for draft-penno-* two provisioning means are required
(compared to basic DS-Lite)
* DHCPv4 for IPv4 address allocation
* ICMP for port range configuration.
I must admit the rationale behind this choice is not clear to me.

>       (*) Question 4: Given this list, is there really a need for the
>       proposed ICMP-based solution?
>
> IMHO, not specifying the technology to get pot range and
> living this to implementation is a serious shortcoming.
> We need to standardize one method.

Med: But the question is why ICMP-based method is needed? Why not using
port-restricted DHCPv4 options for instance?