On 2012-06-07 08:51, mohamed.boucad...@orange.com wrote:
Among the use cases
of high priority identified in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mboned-v4v6-mcast-ps-00#section-3.6,
the IGMP/MLD IWF is only required for the use case described in
draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast.

The DS-Lite case is one instance of the 4-6-4 use case where encapsulation is used. Another instance of the 4-6-4 use case makes use of translation instead. That is not covered by the softwire draft.

The 6-4-6-4 use case is also high priority, requires IGMP/MLD translation, and is not covered by the softwire draft.

So we're looking at at least three use cases of IGMP/MLD translation, possibly more, of which only one is covered by the softwire draft.

As such, does-it really make
sense to have a dedicated document for the IGMP/MLD IWF? Wouldn't be
efficient to have this elaborated in
draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast? I personally vote for the
second option. Of course, if this approach is maintained, the
document should be LCed also in PIM and MBONED.

I think IGMP/MLD translation should stand on its own for the reasons above, and it should be a PIM document.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca