> Does this mean that the errors/warnings can be ignored?

These don't look good

>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: control timeout on ep0in
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: hub 1-2:1.0: config failed, can't
>     read hub descriptor (err -110)

but these are fine

>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 2-2.2: usbfs: interface 1
>     claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 2-2.2: usbfs: interface 2
>     claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 2-2.2: bulk timeout on ep5in
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed
>     dev 3 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 2-2.2: usbfs: interface 0
>     claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 2-2.2: usbfs: interface 1
>     claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
>     May 23 08:07:29 localhost kernel: usb 2-2.2: usbfs: interface 2
>     claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
>     May 23 08:07:47 localhost kernel: usbfs: process 1608 (modem_run)
>     did not claim interface 0 before use
> Is there a possibility to solve these warnings?

actually there is, but you're going to have to wait a bit.  You can get
rid of some of them by removing the (pointless) set_configuration bits
in modem_run.c

> I didn't make/install pppd, linux-atm and kernel-module, because I
> thought that they might conflict with kernel-2.6. When configuring the
> kernel I selected atm, ppp over atm and the speedtouch kernel driver, so
> I thought that I didn't need these speedbundle parts.

They are not the same thing at all.  The kernel needs to have support
for ATM etc.  The linux-atm stuff is a library that talks to the kernel's
ATM stuff.  You need it if you want to do anything with the kernel's
ATM support.  ppp over atm, is a ppp extention that uses the linux-atm
library to talk to the kernel's atm layer.  In short, you need it all - it's
all different stuff that works together.

> OK, I will try to compile and use the version contained in speedbundle.
> But how are the linux-atm and pppd "packages" in speedbundle related to
> the stuff I activated in the kernel configuration? Are they a different
> way to obtain the same functionality?

No, they are two sides of the same coin: on one side deep kernel foo that
adds ATM stuff to the networking layer, on the other side libraries and programs
that use that kernel stuff.  It is similar to: in order to open a normal internet
connection you need kernel support for tcp/ip (analog of kernel support for
ATM).  You also need the sockets library (analog of linux-atm libraries).  And
then you need a program that uses those sockets (analog of pppd - not a very
good analog here).

Ciao,

Duncan.