Hi Ed and Paul

Paul: thanks for the link to the UBuntu help site.  The set up procedure
looks very similar, so I will have to go through them carefully and compare.

Ed: I have no file  /etc/ppp/peers/usbadslmodem, so this is something else I
need to look into, thank you.

Whilst switching between desktops, I did notice the message come up on
booting stating "The Speedtouch Firmware did not load."  This seems to be a
vital clue; does anyone have any suggestions ?

Regards and thanks

Roger.