> > Whilst switching between desktops, I did notice the message come up on
> > booting stating "The Speedtouch Firmware did not load."  This seems to be
> > vital clue; does anyone have any suggestions ?
>
> If the firmware doesn't load, no connection can be made at all.

Yes, however Roger previously sent the contents of /proc/net/atm/speed*
which showed:

  Speed Touch USB  (usb-0000:00:03.0-1)
  MAC: 00:90:d0:37:b0:ab
  AAL5: tx 0 ( 0 err ), rx 0 ( 0 err, 0 drop )
  Line up

i.e. the firmware is loaded.

Maybe he is running one of those scripts you can find on the web which
tries to set up your speedtouch connection for you, perhaps using modem_run
to load firmware?  Or perhaps he just misread the boot message (Roger, you
can read all boot messages by running
        dmesg
in a terminal.  Maybe
        dmesg | less
is better, otherwise you'll maybe get too much stuff).

Ciao,

Duncan.