I had a similar experience w/ MiKTeX on my PC
I tried getting reportlab setup (didn't try too hard) , but something was
missing / had trouble / didn't work.

I installed MiKTeX and had NO idea what packages I needed, fonts to make,
etc. etc.

So I tried LyX.  It seemed to work w/ MiKTeX, but I was helping edit a book
written in LaTeX for AW, and LyX had trouble with that (actually, I couldn't
send back changes easily)...

Which lead me to WinEdt - It fired MiKTeX, and loaded all the missing
pieces, builds all the needed fonts - I just watch...  It Works for me;  I
like it.

YMMV

Yarko.

But there's the ticket - whatever works for you.