To learn settings for latex/pdf output, I suggest you follow other project's implementations and look at their settings used - for example, I champion sphinx/pdf output for the MapServer community, and it automatically generates an 839 page PDF with proper toctrees/bookmarks. Take a look at the Latex output section of my conf.py at https://github.com/mapserver/docs/blob/branch-7-0/conf.py#L170 which generates http://www.mapserver.org/pdf/MapServer.pdf

The preamble settings are very important.

-jeff

On 2016-09-12 6:37 PM, 'EMK' via sphinx-users wrote:
I've been focusing on HTML for several months and now I'm trying to
build PDF (via latexpdf) from the same files.

I have one main toctree and several hidden toctrees.

I'm having these problems:
 1) All my contents go in one chapter, everything from all the toctrees
ends up as Chapter 1 for some reason.
 2) Even though I have set maxdepth to 3 in the main toc, I only see one
level of headers in the table of contents
 3) Documents in the hidden toctrees are listed in the table of
contents. For example, I have a set of copyright statements and such in
a hidden toctree to prevent warnings when I build, and it shows up in
the PDF document table of contents

Note: We haven't updated from Sphinx 1.3 yet, so if that makes a
difference we can upgrade.

Here's an example of how my index.rst file looks:

.. toctree::
   :maxdepth: 3
   :name: main

   intro
   common_tasks
   settings
   support

   :ref:`genindex`
   :ref:`search`

   appendix_1
   appendix_2

.. toctree::
   :hidden:
   :maxdepth: 1
   :name: common_tasks_toc

   task_1_overview
   task_2_overview

.. toctree::
   :hidden:
   :maxdepth: 1
   :name: settings_toc

   settings_topic_1
   settings_topic_2
   settings_topic_3

.. toctree::
   :hidden:
   :name: hidden files

   frontmatter
   doc_warnings
   license_info

Here is what I am getting in my PDF table of contents:

CONTENTS

1. Contents

 1.1    About MyProduct
 1.2    Common Tasks for MyProduct
 1.3    MyProduct Settings
 1.4    Contacting Support
 1.5    Appendix 1: Something Not Very Important
 1.6    Appendix 2: Something Else Of Limited Interest
 1.7    Task 1 Overview
 1.8    Task 2 Overview
 1.9    How To Set Item1
 1.10  How To Set Item2