I moved the hidden toctrees to their introductory documents instead of the
main index document, and it's working great.

Example:

index.rst:

.. toctree::
   :maxdepth: 2
   :name: main

   intro
   common_tasks
   settings_overview

common_tasks.rst:

.. _common_tasks:

===============
Common Tasks
===============

This article gives overview information about various configuration tasks.

.. toctree::
   :hidden:
   :maxdepth: 1
   :name: common_tasks_toc

   task1_info
   task2_info
   task3_info

The "orphan" tag is still being processed as a table header or something in
1.4.8 - but I just won't use it, no big deal.

Thanks.