Hi Chrissy, I haven't had any problems with mechanics or parts dealers (yet!), but my landlady does think it a bit strange that a woman has so many cars (a Subaru sedan (boring), a '73 Spitfire, and a '70 Gt6+). The fellow that does some yardwork for her thought the cars were her husband's, and he thought it strange too when she told him they belonged to a woman :))
I'm happy to raise their consciousness about LBC-owning women!!!!!!!! Anne -----Original Message----- From: Christine Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Friday, June 21, 2002 9:47 AM Subject: Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member! >At 11:50 AM 6/21/2002, you wrote: > >>Hi Chrissy . Welcome to the brotherhood ( and sisterhood ! ) of Triumph . > >Thank you! I'm glad to be here! > >>Man , it's amazing to see so many ladies that are passionate about Triumphs > >Apparently, there aren't many around here (Phoenix, AZ). How many women >are on this list?? I'm curious, because I've already experienced several >sort-of discriminatory comments, being a woman and owning a "collector >car". I've had several people say things like "Oh, your husband bought >himself a toy, eh?" as they walk by my garage. I don't HAVE a husband, so >that would be tough. The guy I bought it from asked me if I knew how to >drive it. My knee-jerk response was to throw my hands up into the air, and >in a high pitched sarcastic squealy voice say "Oh no, I'm a GIRL, I don't >know how to drive a stick, can you teach me?" but I managed to keep my >mouth shut. > >I've also noticed that auto parts stores are weird about women...they >either fall all over themselves to help me in a completely patronizing way, >or they ignore me completely, like I must have wandered in by mistake on my >way to shop for drapes. > >I'm a woman who has never restricted myself to "typical gender roles" so I >suppose I should be used to this kind of thing by now, but it still bugs me >a bit. Ladies, have any of you had similar experiences? > >-Chrissy, apparently a bit grumpy this morning :-) /// [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list /// Send admin requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] /// or try http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool /// Archives at http://www.team.net/archive /// Send list postings to [EMAIL PROTECTED] /// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.
