-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ron
Greenman
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:58 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Supervisory Alarm - Low Air

Of course! How foolish of me! Dave, can you send me your address. I
lost it and I want to send your Tacoma Code Book.

On 10/24/07, David de Vries <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How would you know?  Simple, Ron.  You would just check the log where
the building engineer dutifully recorded the air pressure on the system
on a weekly basis, as required by NFPA 25 where there is no electrical
supervison, of course!

>   lol
>
>   Dave at Firetech Engineering Incorp.
>
> Ron Greenman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   I've always considered the high air supervision more critical than
low
> since a malfunctioning compressor that runs the air up will cause a
> longer trip time whereas low air will just let you know that an
> unwanted trip could happen if not attended to. Of course the emphasis
> is put on the low air because that trip rolls fire trucks, requires a
> technician to be summoned, disrupts the normal course of a day and
> costs the owner money. All recordable events and therefore
> statistically useful for proving one point or another. If, on the
> other hand, you receive a high air you just fix the problem as a piece
> of equipment that needs maintenance. If a life or building was ever
> lost because of high air delaying a trip how would anyone ever know?
> The evidence would demonstrate an overwhelmed system but although it
> might suggest it there is nothing I can think of that would
> definitively demonstrate it was due to a delayed trip time. If a bear
> ....s in the woods...?
>
> On 10/24/07, Tim Frankenberg wrote:
> > Dave,
> >
> > The requirement to monitor low and high air pressure has been in the
code before the 1993 edition of the National Fire Alarm Code.

> > Most of the supervisory pressure switches installed are very much
capable of monitoring both low and high air and have been able to for
many, many years. More times than not, the high air condition is not
being enforced by the AHJ.

> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Tim Frankenberg, CFPS
> >
> > Tim Frankenberg, CFPS
> > Fire Product Manager
> > Potter Electric Signal Company
> > www.pottersignal.com
> > 800-325-3936

> > Something new to me popped up today as we are now using the 2002
editions of
> > 13 & 72 here.
> >
> > On a dry pipe sprinkler the National Fire Alarm Code - NFPA 72
states that
> > the air supervisory sensor shall signal on loss of 10 PSI but also
on 10 PSI
> > greater than the system set pressure. Check out 5.13 for yourself
but I'm
> > thinking Ive never seen or tested for air greater than 10 PSI of the
set
> > pressure before.
> >
> > How is this being handled in the field during installs and
maintenance ?
> > Does the typical air pressure switch in the little red cover
actually cover
> > both loss and increase pressures?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dave - a NJ AHJ