Yes George

George;

I was at the NFPA 13D meeting before the 2007 Edition of NFPA 13 came out and I
went with one purpose and that was to discuss the questions that I get all of
the time as a technical service manager.  What do I (designer or engineer) do
when I have a sloped ceiling more than 8 in. in 12 in. and what do I do it the
sloped ceiling that also has beams.  Additionally what do I do (designer or
engineer) do I do when have a bunch of decorative beams creating pockets.  Is
it good fire protection to put 16 residential sprinklers in a room with beams
and only calculate two sprinklers?  I was not allowed to speak because I was
not a member of the committee so I packed my bags and went home.  I know that
there are a lot of opinion about everything but it was really difficult to
watch some of the members who really did not seem to know a lot about
sprinklers but were there to protect their turf. My opinion was that put they
could put in the code that there that you have to treat it like light hazard or
whatever (say calculate six sprinklers) but give the designers and engineers
some direction.  What they did was dumped it back on the sprinkler designer or
his company or the engineer and mostly the AHJ.  In my opinion the committee
abdicated their responsibility.  There are also some other areas that need
attention.  The voted to allow dry and Preaction systems in single family
homes.  I answer questions all of the time about Preaction systems from
sprinkler contractors that do more kinds of sprinkler systems than residential.
 Many residential sprinkler contractors do not know anything about Preaction
nor have they ever done a Preaction system.  Some of the people seemed to think
that you could use the normal detectors in a home spaced any way you wanted to
or that you would need a releasing panel. The reason was one of the members had
a client that had ten million dollars worth of art and was concerned about
accidental discharge.  In my opinion if you have ten millions dollars worth of
art you do not need a 13D sprinkler system.  Another issue was not addressed
and that is there is no limitation on the size of a single family home.  In my
opinion a 44,000 square foot home does not need a 13D system.
Another question is why do we not require and alarm on a 13D sprinkler system.
The answer was the cost. That is BS since an electric bell is not expensive and
yet they pass dry and Preaction.

Overall, I was embarrassed and somewhat ticked off at the rampant attempts of
certain parties to get the code changed to meet a product they either made or
wanted to make. But that may be had it has always been.

All of this may be a moot point when you see the flows and pressures that are
going to be required to pass the new UL testing requirements for residential
sprinklers.

The insanity continues!

The above is my personal opinion and is not way intended to be the opinion of
my company.

Sorry that I got carried away but that is the way I feel.

Mike Brown