In Washington, forward thinking that we are, we require anyone
installing sprinklers to be licensed. We have a special license for
13D stuff and there's a test that has to be passed for designers.
Installers have to have way too many hours before becoming installer
but that number is by statute rather than administration so is next to
impossible to change. So if a plumbing contractor wants to install
sprinklers he has to also be a sprinkler contractor (the business),
have a certified designer on staff (the technical oversight) and a
licensed residential sprinkle installer (the trained labor). By the
same token if a sprinkler contractor wants to do plumbing he has to be
a plumbing contractor (the business), have a licensed administrator on
staff (the technical oversight) and a licensed journeyman plumber (the
trained labor). Once we were willing to trade residential work for
backflow installation for sprinkler systems but they demanded that
they keep that backflow and that little piece of potable pipe  between
our underground & our system and so we kept all our systems. They may
be singing the blues come 2011 as long as we can hold the NAHB & BIAW
at bay.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Steve Leyton
<st...@protectiondesign.com> wrote:
> Yes Todd it is just math, and if he ever sees the light of day again in
> his life, I bet Bernie could become a residential designer himself
> someday.
>
> Steve

Ron Greenman
at home....