I'd assume when the fitter's liability insurance or assets are depleted- if
they're even sought in subrogation- then the liability reverts back to where
it now resides- a well-insured CONTRACTING FIRM. So what was the point? 

We need to make sure we assure quality when we institute QC programs.
Handing out fitter licenses to everyone with a card or that's graduated from
(or is enrolled in)an apprenticeship course, or who's been hanging pipe
right or wrong for 5 years, doesn't insure quality.

I think we see how well the QC by PEs producing contract documents that have
fatal errors in them, despite established state licensing laws, is proof of
the state's ability to perform QC.

glc

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jay Jay
Blocker
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Residential systems in California

I can understand both sides of the issue but would have to agree with Rod. 
If the contractor is licensed it gives a better point of accountability. 
When the installer is licensed and screws up a guy making $50000-$80000 a
year is penalized.  This leaves the old "well he did it so im cool"
mentality in play.  Where as if the contractor is licensed you now have 30
to 40 employees all making different salaries affected by the screw up.. 
So now everyones job is at stake if there is a bad screw up, so everyone
looks out for everyone.  Thus making the quality of the system better
therefore providing better life safety for the rest of America.  I have had
to be a part of the licensing of the contractor for several years and the
accountability makes people pay attention.  A friend of mine works in an
area where the fitter has to be licensed and he says they always have
trouble finding people and keeping them, therefore causing business to
 suffer.  Unions have there place most definately but licensing of
the company is in my opinion more effective.   


Rod how is Jesse doing up there in Casper Wy? 
 
Jeremy S. Blocker
 
Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in
awareness. --James Thurber 




________________________________
From: Rod DiBona <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:59:45 PM
Subject: RE: Residential systems in California

I know you are not specifically saying to be pro union but let me
promise you that fitter licensing is the first step. Even if it ends
there it usually has very negative consequences. The union WILL try and
use it to their advantage. This is not hypothetical it has happened in
many places. Let me copy a quote from my friend Micheal Winiecki who
along with his father Frank and many others in 417's jurisdiction have
lived it.

Michael Winiecki, president of General Sprinkler Corp., Maplewood,
Minn., states, "The long-term price we have paid since fitter licensing
has been enacted is that our business growth and development has
suffered."

>From AFSA's white paper on the issue.

"It is not sprinkler fitters that need to be licensed, it is the fire
sprinkler contractor who is ultimately responsible for the quality of
the installation. It is the fire sprinkler contractor who should be
licensed to install fire sprinkler systems, and licensing of contractors
must be based upon competency in order to be effective."

Can you imagine the embarrassment to the industry if we finally win this
battle only to have a shortage of "licensed" fitters to do the job? It
is the contractor that needs to have qualified, competent oversight as
they are the ones who are ultimately responsible. I understand that you
are coming from a position of using the licensing to our advantage and
ice the plumbers out but I don't believe that is the approach that will
work. 

Rod DiBona
Rapid Fire




-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Forest
Wilson
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Residential systems in California

I'm not saying be pro-union. I'm saying pro-license. Plumbers have it to
their advantage. A friend of mine was fined $ 2,000 a few years ago for
installing a backflow on a sprinkler system!
It required a lucensed plumber. 
Otherwise what steve said will come to pass: plumbers will control the
residential market. 
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "Rod DiBona" <[email protected]>

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:54:59 
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Residential systems in California


Well Forest I respect everybody's right to have their opinion and I have
agreed with you many times on this forum but on this one my answer would
not be no; but HELL NO. Don't have time to defend my opinion right now
but will be glad to engage later. I don't know your age or history but
there are many of us who have been there and done that and have no
interest in going down that road. It is one of those things that from
the "outside" seems like a good idea but in reality would be a disaster.
The problem is that many people believe that this would be a fair and
equitable process but the truth is that there is nothing fair or
equitable about it. Sound like a conspirator? Take a look at what we
call the "card Check". What do they call it? Employee Free Choice Act.
That's real cute. The right to take away the employees free choice is
more like it. Reminds me of the "stimulus" bill.

Rod DiBona
Rapid Fire

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Forest
Wilson
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Residential systems in California

And that is why the industry should join the unions in supporting
sprinklerfitting licensing for installers.  
Forest Wilson 
Cherokee Fire 
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steve Leyton" <[email protected]>

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:42:10 
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Residential systems in California


I'm only going to speak to a couple of the many valid points raised in
your mail.  Using a single large residential plumbing contractor as an
example, most have large shops where they're already doing sub-assembly
fabrication and prep of materials prior to dropping at project sites.
Washer/dryer manifolds, service manifolds, traps, etc., etc.  This is
no different than making up resi-risers, drops, test connections, etc.
Methodologically, they are already set up for this with little or no
start-up costs.  Second, WRT to design you're right, it's no different
for plumbers vs. sprinkies in that they will have to find/train design
techs.  But again, if you have a community of experienced plumbing
designers to draw from, who are already familiar with plan reading,
piping systems, water supplies and - in many cases - hydraulic design
practices, the learning curve is shorter and flatters.  Third, and by
far the most significant IMHO, they are already structuring their
overhead costs on a much higher value of work basis.  

I have no idea what the numbers are for a typical 2,000 SF tract home,
but let's say that Company X is already 1) setting the meter and
installing the service pipe; 2) installing all hot and cold water piping
and fixtures, including the water heater; 3) installing the gas meter
and piping for homes so-equipped; 4) running the drains and soils piping
and the sewer lateral.    What's that worth - does anyone on this forum
have a good idea?  Let's say it's ... oh, I dunno, $17,500 at the low
end and 22,500 at the high end - does that sound about right?  Add to
that the FAU and duct work if it's an all-trades mechanical contract.
And they have the after-sale service department, documentation and
programming all done and sitting there ready to go.  So if they're
already charging $15,000-30,000 for materials and services on production
homes, what do you think the impact will be to their overhead to add
residential fire sprinklers?  Not nearly as high as it is for a mom &
pop sprinkler shop, that's for sure.  And as lucid as your observations
are, you're not factoring that the homebuilding community is biased
toward consolidated purchasing patterns.  If they can one-stop-shop for
everything wet, they'll give it a long hard look, believe me.  

Steve Leyton
Protection Design & Consulting
San Diego, CA




-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Chris
Cahill
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 2:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Residential systems in California

Here's where my friends Steve, George and Ryan and I disagree a bit.  

I'll rephrase - Never mind raising eyebrows, how is the PLUMBING
industry
going to find the thousands of design tech's and literally dozens of
thousands of installers necessary to serve this market?

It's all manpower (FP/P labels aren't important).  Are you telling us
the
plumbers all these years are sitting around with extra people?  That
doesn't
make business sense.  They have exactly the correct number of people
they
need to do the work they are doing now.  Just like we do.  If it's work
increase for us it's work increase for them. 

"both conventional and MP systems - regardless of licensing or code or
jurisdictional variables.  BECAUSE IT MAKES GOOD BUSINESS SENSE.  And
who's to stop them?"  Is the argument they are allowed to not follow the
law? If no one can stop them why is there the inference we can be
stopped.  

"Homebuilders will appreciate the one-stop shopping"  So are you telling
me
they would appreciate if I expand into the siding market, roofing market
and
electrical market even if I have no knowledge of those fields?  That
would
be a couple less subs.  Or are you saying the homebuilders have reached
their maximum capacity to deal with one more sub over the 20 plus they
are
already dealing with?  

"it's not rocket science."  Yep I agree and if it ain't rocket science
for
plumbers are you saying it is for us?  Seems to me it's wouldn't be
rocket
science for us either.  

Dave A.. Said "Check the annex, and look at the "Calculation Sheet". Like
someone said, it's not rocket science."  So a sprinkler contractor must
do
a plan and HW calc but a homeowner or plumber can use the annex?  Now I
know
that's not what anyone actually said but that's what I took from the
total
comments.  I believe what one should take from this is the annex is for
us
too.  Now the biggest obstacle I see to anyone doing annex calc's are
the
AHJ's present company excluded.      

I agree economics will be the answer.  I have full faith in the market
to
solve who is going to do this work.  But first we will need to ensure
through the gov't those practicing in a life safety field are qualified.
Only then will economics be the driver.  We are in the life safety field
and
plumbers are in the same field.  We just have specialized in different
areas.  We fire suppression, they potable water and sanitary waste. 

If I get 350 houses to do next year I guarantee you I can find 6-7
people to
do this work even if we were working like we were a few years ago.
Budgeting a man-week per house.  The labor market grows daily..  Don't
tell
me the burger flippers and cashiers won't move for a buck an hour more.
The
labor market bottomed out at just under 5% unemployment.  10,000 fitters
or
whatever we call them wouldn't make a dent in the unemployment rate.
Don't
tell me there aren't many fully capable of glueing plastic together.
IMHO
putting in the sprinkler system in a house is easier than the plumbing
system so saying the plumbers are cheaper is fine but a they are still
over
paid for the fire sprinkler portion.  I'm assuming good PM and designer
in
shop.          

I see day one a few fitters going out on there own to specialize in this
work.  I see a few smaller sprinkler companies dropping the steel work.
I
see large sprinkler companies developing residential shops.  I see union
shops using the lower wages of residential fitters already in the
contracts
and I see the non-union shops hiring lower paid counter parts to their
existing fitters that just do residential.  

We don't have to pay for the learning curve the plumbers will have.  Our
changes are minor compared to the plumbers.  They need to find PM's and
designers that can spell fire sprinkler (not unlike the PE profession),
they
will need to secure suppliers, they will need to learn basic hydraulics
(HW
or annex), they will need to learn 13D.  We already have this
infrastructure
in place just needs to grow a bit not start from scratch.  They may
catch us
and pass us, time will tell.  But day one they aren't prep'ping any more
than we are. On day one I need to hang a hiring shingle for one PM that
I
can teach to spell fire sprinkler, 6 laborers and make 2 phone calls to
get
a few heads, pipe and appurtenances.  I am ready. And if I get 700 I
leave
the shingle up for a second day is the only difference.  

I hope to know all you years from now to see how this plays out.  But I
guess that's what Facebook is for.  I don't know for sure how this will
turn
out but I will not concede to the plumbers before the skirmish starts in
earnest.      


Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.

763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax

Email: [email protected]

Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390

Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve
Leyton
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 10:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Residential systems in California

Never mind raising eyebrows, how is our industry going to find the
thousands of design tech's and literally dozens of thousands of
installers necessary to serve this market?  Plumbing contractors are
going to start doing this work- both conventional and MP systems -
regardless of licensing or code or jurisdictional variables.  BECAUSE
IT MAKES GOOD BUSINESS SENSE.  And who's to stop them?  Homebuilders
will appreciate the one-stop shopping and many plumbing contractors
already have design departments.  I've said this dozens of times
already in this forum but I'll say it again - it's not rocket science.


Steve Leyton
Protection Design & Consulting
San Diego, CA




-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ed Kramer
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:13 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Residential systems in California

For the sprinkler contractors who don't hold a plumbing license: if
there is
no BFP, then the entire sprinkler system is potable.  That's work you no
longer have access to.  Does that raise any eyebrows?

Ed Kramer
Littleton, CO


> "To address the issue of backflow prevention, one discussion the
> committee is having is the viability of placing a toilet on the
> hydraulic end of the sprinkler system ..."
> 
> Great. Now I have to learn to install toilets. Will this function as
the
> inspectors test too? Won't the alarm sound whenever you flush?


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to:
[email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)


__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
signature database 3869 (20090219)__________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
signature database 3873 (20090220)__________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to:
[email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to:
[email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to:
[email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to:
[email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)



      
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to