Forest is right Ron, I didn't get the impression he was pro-union, just
pro-license.
Plumbing licenses have been around longer than sprinkler licenses.  I'm
sorry to say and not to offend anyone but I've always considered sprinkler
systems to be plumbing system.  We're just specialists.  Sprinklers have
always been a akin to plumbing and I think always will be.  I'm afraid to
say if multi-purpose really advances in 1 and 2 family work, we're going to
have to align ourselves or branch out. I do a fair amount of small 13D work.
I'm seeing "green" technologies coming into play more and more.  I'm seeing
individual tankless heaters now instead of central heating, rainwater and
greywater systems, groundwater heat pumps, more use of radiant, etc.  The
reason I say this is I see more (not less) trades on the job and less (I
think) inclination to go multi-purpose, if it was an option.  Multi-purpose
is tough around these parts (pahts) because a lot of purveyors aren't
allowing combination services and we have strict licensing laws mostly due
to a strong union presence.

Tom

I'm not saying be pro-union. I'm saying pro-license. Plumbers have it to
their advantage. A friend of mine was fined $ 2,000 a few years ago for
installing a backflow on a sprinkler system!
It required a lucensed plumber.
Otherwise what steve said will come to pass: plumbers will control the
residential market.


Well Forest I respect everybody's right to have their opinion and I have
agreed with you many times on this forum but on this one my answer would
not be no; but HELL NO. Don't have time to defend my opinion right now
but will be glad to engage later. I don't know your age or history but
there are many of us who have been there and done that and have no
interest in going down that road. It is one of those things that from
the "outside" seems like a good idea but in reality would be a disaster.
The problem is that many people believe that this would be a fair and
equitable process but the truth is that there is nothing fair or
equitable about it. Sound like a conspirator? Take a look at what we
call the "card Check". What do they call it? Employee Free Choice Act.
That's real cute. The right to take away the employees free choice is
more like it. Reminds me of the "stimulus" bill.

Rod DiBona

And that is why the industry should join the unions in supporting
sprinklerfitting licensing for installers.
Forest Wilson

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to