Perspective:

1.  *This conversation was ever about fire control or suppression.  It is
about
code compliance.  The two are sometimes confused*.   --- yes they are
confusing.
One seems to effect real world results, the other seems to effect whether we

get paid or not.  At the
end of the day, if Code compliance is most of what we care about
(and I know it is not since we believe our job is to save property and
lives),
then don't read another word.    The fire will not, either.

*common sense and the code coinciding with your initial
reaction. *We must comply with the
Code, but the Code already got batted aside the head by the gal or guy
that wrote the specs with the OH vs LH designation.  We can call an office
LH,
but that don't matter none to the fire.   We can put in QR sprinklers, even
if they are not needed (relative to SR) for life safety or property
protection in this
occupancy.

It was adroitly pointed out that QR sprinklers will activate
sooner than SR.  It was also well-explained how CO levels are lower
in QR vs SR controlled fires.  But with this occupancy-sprinkler
configuration,
both types of response-sprinklers will easily put the fire out.

*Perspective:  *This is not a residential, hospital, hotel, or apartment
where QR
sprinklers are keenly advantageous.  This is an office occupancy.  We can
call an office occupany
LH with an exclamation point, and the Code can prescribe QR sprinklers in
all LH occupancies.  But that doesn't mean in this hybridized Code
application,
in this office occcupancy, that QR are needed for life safety.*
*
What does history say about fire safety in office buildings?  I know, it
does not
matter what Nature, history or the fire says, when we are being Code
compliant,
but I still wonder, what is the fire safety record of sprinkelred offices?
At 1200 ppm CO ...... a conservative STEL, but  but at 1200 ppm CO, most of
us with
reasonable health can not just breath this for 20 minutes, we can do jumping
jacks in it for 10 minutes.   In an office occupancy with this delivery
density and
MRA,  using a QR or SR will make virtually no difference in life safety--
the CO
concentrations in either case is low enough to allow everyone ample exit
time, if they even
need to exit.  Firefighters have chronic exposure to smoke.   Office
occupants almost
surely, will not have long-term measurable detriments to their health from
exposure
to smoke from a sprinklered fire (SR or QR controlled), in the remote chance
that they are exposed in the first place.

*Yes, we must be Code compliant.  *But if the original thread was, "can I
breath easy
and sleep soundly knowing I installed SR sprinklers in an office occupancy
which
is covered with OH1 density?" ...  the answer is yes.*  *Where the Code
prescriptions
fall on a specification that is hybridized, is another question.*
*
QR sprinklers are great.  So are Code prescriptions.  Common-sense in
this particular hybridized Code application also deserves mention.

scot deal
excelsior fire engineering