I'm NOT arguing against QR but keep the CO things in the proper perspective.
It takes CO over time to do damage.  The numbers reported by John yesterday
that are above IDLH can be misleading.  John and the sources are not
misleading, just taking the data out of context can be.   IDLH is I believe
a 5 minute exposure. So it's not like a lethal injection if exposed to IDLH
for a moment.  Loiter and you have a problem.

The concentrations are also misleading depending on room size.  The fire of
a given size will only put out so much CO.  It's diluted in the volume of
the room to get the concentration.  So in my single bed hospital room the CO
would be higher than in the middle of a Walmart even if the Walmart fire is
much bigger.

Also note with either head once it operates the CO will go down quickly.
The fire gets smaller, much smaller, very quick and the CO has diluted more
as the smoke leave the room.

Also watch where the CO is measured in the testing.  Measuring it in the
upper layer is again misleading.  Living humans in a sprinklered building
will never be in the upper layer even with SR heads and bedridden.  Even
after the head operates depending on a lot of factors the CO in the upper
layer now being well mixed will have a much smaller concentration.  This is
because as an example if you have 1200ppm in the upper layer that is 1/2 the
room you only have 600ppm once mixed.  The time-exposure curve is not linear
if I recall.  If 1200 is 5 minute, 600 is more than 10 minutes.

We don't have a good record on fire deaths in sprinklered buildings.  We
don't know if CO is the agent of death like it is in unsprinklered
buildings.  I tend to think proximity to fire in sprinklered buildings is
the leading death agent not the CO.  And there are a ridiculous low number
of deaths anyway.  So the data is probably too scattered to form real
insights.

Sure FF have some things to think about.  Working in overhaul conditions w/o
SCBA when the fire is smoldering.  Rate of CO per fire size is higher but
total volume may not be compared to a flaming fire.  FF are also working
their a$% off and breathing much heavier thus increasing exposure to what
ever is in the air.  But really this has nothing to do with SR v. QR
conversation.  That is a discussion up to and shortly after sprinkler
operation.  The FF exposure is long after.  And even in warehouse type fires
minor compared to unsprinklered buildings.

FWIW QR saves pipe size in most cases more that the couple extra dollars the
heads cost.  I can't recall the last time I didn't use QR in a ceiling under
20' whether LH or OH.  Yeah ECOH are technically SR on paper, not talking
about those situations.

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.