Interesting discussion and just a side point.  As I review plans for the
fire department I do require a signature, date and stamp of the design
professional under whose direction the hydraulic calcs and layout were
prepared.  I do not say PE or ME But I do want to know who is responsible
for the layout and calcs.  The State also requires the same.  In the end I
do not approve of the layout but accept it once I verify that it meets all
the code requirements since the signer is accepting responsibility for the
layout and calcs.  I have found input errors and errors in layout even after
the State has reviewed the plans first.  If I have questions it is the
person whose signature I have on the layout that I talk to.  Simplifies our
review considerably.

Norm