I say no since it sounds like you have a total compartmetalization of the
hallway with the dry wall partitions extending vertically to the deck.
In this situation heads above the duct would be useless.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.
-------- Original message --------From: Tim Stone <tston...@comcast.net> Date:
9/14/16  10:04 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Noncombustible concealed space
I have an interesting situation.  Steel and concrete School building. A
Corridor runs down the middle on each floor about 8’ wide, W12 steel I-Beams
forming the side at the floor deck above, (About 12’-0 Floor to Bottom of
deck).There is a large duct running the length of the Corridor about 7’-6 wide
x 24” tall. This leaves a gap of about 3” on each side between duct and
sheetrock partitions. The top of the duct is about 11” below the steel Q-Deck
above.An open metal grid ceiling system is installed 12” – 16” below the duct.
We are installing upright heads 1”-4” below the duct allowing the water to
spray down through the open grid ceiling. The question is, do I need to install
heads above the duct? There will be no way to service or replace these heads
and if installed between the duct and the wall, the head will not meet the
minimum 4” off the wall.Referencing 2010 ed. 8.15.1.2.1, concealed spaces, I
believe I am following the intent. Thank you in advance. Regards,G. Tim Stone
G. Tim Stone Consulting, LLCNICET Level III Engineering TechnicianFire
Protection Sprinkler Designand Consulting Services                 117 Old
Stage Rd. - Essex Jct., VT. 05452CELL: (802) 373-0638   TEL: (802) 434-2968
Fax: (802) 434-4343                           tston...@comcast.net