Dane is correct.

We get this question a lot through the Technical Review submissions, and
the response is pretty cut and dry.

The three times rule does not apply to non structural members in light and
ordinary hazard occupancies and because the deflector is located above the
duct, water is able to spray on both sides, so it can be considered a
noncontinuous obstruction. No additional protection is not required.

-Kevin

On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 5:08 PM Greg McGahan <g...@genesisfireservices.com>
wrote:

> With all due respect Dane - read the annex,  it specifically addresses
> that issue.
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 3:42 PM Dane Long <da...@bamfordfire.com> wrote:
>
>> Anthony,
>>

>> I feel there might be a few sections you need to look at regarding this
>> question.
>>

>> For me I would start at *8.6.5.2 Obstructions to Sprinkler Discharge
>> Pattern Development.*
>>

>> *8.6.5.2.1.1 *Continuous or noncontinuous obstructions less than or
>> equal to 18 in. (457 mm)
>>
>> below the sprinkler deflector that prevent the pattern from fully
>> developing shall comply with
>>
>> 8.6.5.2.
>>

>> The section above lays the ground work for the 18in requirement
>> (8.6.5.2). Then I would look at *8.6.5.2.1.3* Minimum Distance from
>> Obstructions.*
>>

>> *8.6.5.2.1.4* *For light and ordinary hazard occupancies, structural
>>
>> members only shall be considered when applying the requirements
>>
>> of 8.6.5.2.1.3.
>>

>> IMHO Because it specifically says “structural members only shall be
>> considered” I believe the intent of this section is to allow for us to not
>> provide sprinklers on both side to a reasonable degree, meaning we’re able
>> to get water on both sides of the obstruction as long as its not a
>> structural member.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> *Dane Long, AET*
>> *Engineering Technician *| *Bamford Fire Sprinkler Co., Inc.*
>> P:    *785.825.7710*
>> F:    *785.825.0667*
>> A:   *1383 W. North Street  Salina, KS  67401*

Kevin Hall, M.Eng., P.E., ET, CWBSP, PMSFPE
Sr. Manager, Engineering and Technical Services
American Fire Sprinkler Association