So the choices seem to be:

 (1) Databases that corrupt if you move across platforms.
 (2) A 10MB database engine
 (3) Leave things as they are

I prefer to go with (3)

Yes, based on the facts I agree that (3) is the best way to go - a
developer can decide whether to use Windows methods only, or be
cross-platform and use ICU or anything else.

However, it isn't what I mean. I suggest to publish some kind of a
standard that database developers would use. I.e. SQLite web would
define, that if you want to make a Unicode database that can be
openned by other applications, you should define collation e.g. as
'en_AU' for Australian English. This way, if I want let users of my
application to open DB in e.g. in some database editor, I can use this
standard and users will be able to open it in many applications
following the standard.

So, what I propose aren't actually any changes in SQLite, but rather
publishing something that would guide all SQLite developers.

Jiri