Cecil,

If you have a load average of 15 then that normally means you have a
massively overloaded Linux box. I don?t know your system but I get
worried around a load average of 3-4 on our boxes. Load Average is a
very crude measurement but a high number tends to be bad.

If your CPU is only running at 15% (how do you know this?) then the
problem is likely elsewhere. My first thought is swap space, check what
the disk io is, the fact you mention Java would immediately make me look
at the amount of memory allocated to the JVM. For some reason many
JVM?s allocate a pitifully small amount of memory, Java then runs out
of memory pretty quickly and spends the next few secs/mins/hours
fighting with the OS for resources.

Top, netstat, ps etc are your friends here. You need to look at them and
see whats kicking your load average into the stratosphere. I?d be
surprised if its Sqlite, we don?t normally drop tables, but from
memory, dropping a 10GB table took no time. It might have been seconds
or a minute, we didn?t measure it as it wasn?t an issue.

Rob