Cecil,,

Linux reporting 8 cores is due to hyper threading on the four cores.
Thats normal.

One of the cores reporting a high usage is normal if you have single
threaded app that simply cannot be moved, e.g. many perl programs
exhibit this behaviour. Thats fine and to be expected.

I do not have the whole thread for what you reported but I did read
somebody ask if you have put your inserts between a BEGIN/END
transaction. That will make a massive difference to your speed.  Also
I?m unclear as to how Java fits in all of this. Perhaps you gave a
better indication further up the thread I do not have.

There are a lot of very, very talented people on the list, I am an not
one of them :), I would strongly urge you to provide more information
rather than less, e.g. you provide summary information for Java by RSS.
It would be a lot more useful to have the full raw data so people can
look for quirks and anomalies rather than simply you interpreting it for
us. I am NOT the best person to talk about SQLite performance, however I
am more familiar with Unix/Linux performance and administration.

Since most people here do not have the same issues as you and I have no
doubt they are hitting Sqlite far harder than I or you can, I would look
at what you are doing that is different and Java keeps jumping out at
me. I have run (though not programmed as I?m not a Java developer) a
number of programs running Java as the backend onto large DB2 databases
and the first thing the developers would do would be to increase the
amount of memory that Java is allowed to allocate and use. They would
tend to throw 4GB at each JVM or more if the sysadmins would let them.

I still don?t get a feeling for where the problem is though as the
information is fragmentary.

Rob

On 17 Apr 2016, at 8:40, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>>> Have another problem also. My CPU is about 15%, but the load average
>>> is
>>> also about 15. (This is on a Linux system.) This results (sometimes)
>>> in a
>>> very sluggish system. Can the load be a SQLite problem, or is it a
>>> Java
>>> problem? (When the program is not running, the load average is a lot