> Have another problem also. My CPU is about 15%, but the load average is
> also about 15. (This is on a Linux system.) This results (sometimes) in a
> very sluggish system. Can the load be a SQLite problem, or is it a Java
> problem? (When the program is not running, the load average is a lot
> lower.)

You have slow CPU with multiple cores (15% means you probably have quad core --
probably with Intel Hyper-Slowness as well (as in not SMT), or you have
dual-core SMT), and the dispatcher is brain-dead and dispatching the single
threaded application on the same CPU as more critical OS workers resulting in
swamping that core with compute use and preventing competing threads (such as
the OS or the gooey) from being other than -- well -- gooey.

You claim this is Linux.  There are many brands and flavours (and versions) or
Linux, all tuned to behave differently.  You do not specify the particular
version and brand it is.