Thanks for looking into this bpa.  I don't believe anything else has
changed.  Yesterday I did add another command to the start-up user
commands 'tweaks' - a script that I wrote to control a fan via a GPIO
pin - but the compilation error didn't seem to be improved by removal of
that script.

The pCP is currently connected wirelessly, to a mesh system that I added
a few weeks back - apart from some initial teething troubles (as with
ANY new piece of network equipment in my experience!) it's worked
flawlessly.  Signal strength seems good.

If it happens again I'll save the entire boot log, to see if there's any
clue about the network interface.