mherger wrote:
> > Yes. I'd like to figure out whether there was a way to make macOS
> bring
> > up the "allow access?" prompt programmatically. I was wondering
> whether
> > I don't see it because I had been running early betas already.
>
> Ok, I got something. Found a command to reset all those settings. But
> things are complicated... depending on how LMS got started, the
> application requesting permissions would vary - if it asked at all.
>
> - when asked right after installation, the prompt would ask whether
> you'd like to give the installer permission to access a network drive or
>
> whatever. But as soon as you restarted LMS that would no longer work, as
>
> the installer would no longer be the "owner" of the process.
>
> - when started from the control panel, the owner would be bash (or sh in
>
> older versions of LMS). Alas, these tools seem to not ask for
> permission.
>
> - when started automatically at system startup, the launch item would
> launch slimserver.pl directly, rather than the helper script used by the
>
> control panel. That's why you'll need to give the perl executable full
> access. But like bash it's not asking for it...
>
> - I'm mostly running LMS from the terminal, as I'm only developing on
> Mac. That's why I never was asked for permissions: the first time I
> launched the terminal I was asked for full disk access. LMS would
> inherit these, as it's owned by the terminal.
>
> Which means I'll have to find a way how to trigger the prompt from a
> running LMS, no matter how it's been started... Wish me luck with that!
> --
>
> Michael

That sums it up nicely.  It was a multi-step process and quite a
head-scratcher to figure out the various layers and interactions.

The one obvious "debug" aid I had was that it was impossible to browse a
volume or sub-tree if LMS had no permission, so it was just a matter of
trial and error to figure out which executables needed permission.  Not
something many will be able to accomplish.

Maybe there needs to be a single "wrapper" program that is called for
the various services LMS is required to accomplish, and the installer
will need to prompt users to enable the various permissions.  Catalina
may have hardened the OS environment out of the box, but it certainly
has made life much more difficult for developers and end-users.