I realize much of the "prefs" folder is going to be unique to each
version of LMS (right?),

No, absolutely not. I migrated server only a week or two ago. I copied over _all_ prefs files, but

- removed file paths from them
- remove server_uuid (or similar) from server.prefs

That latter identifies a player, and having two identical IDs can cause confusion.

Do not mess with the cache folder. Not only can it be pretty large, but it's ephemeral data only.

In particular don't try to replicate the InstalledPlugins folder from in there. It's asking for trouble in future updates or installation of plugins.
--

Michael