On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM,  <s...@guice.ath.cx> wrote:
> you want see the output of the chpasswd program (usually^M // only useful
> for debugging purposes, set this to 1^M
> // echo any password information you enter in clear text!  Please ^M //
> use this setting with care!^M
> files.  This could be hazardous to your health.
>>> I don't use windows for editing unix files. I may have copy and pasted,
> etc.
>> Then you probably unpackaged the tarball in windoze and used the wrong
>
> That isn't the case. The only roll windows played, if any, is you sending
> the tarball attached --me downloading the attached tarball via
> SquirrelMail to a vista machine thereafter, moving the tarball via the lan
> to a user in the 'whell group' on the SM box.  Not until the tarball was
> on the SM machine did it get unpacked; I still have the original email
> with the attachment as-well-as the original tarball (unpackaged) on the
> *nix machine --if you would like to review either of them. (^M)

Just looked and verified the config files are in fact in DOS format in
the original.  Sorry about that.  Probably a relic from the early days
of this plugin's sordid development.  I'll fix that in the next
release, but this shouldn't cause the problem you are seeing.  Thanks
for the heads up.

>> FTP mode to upload to your server.

>>> You may have lost me again, with the recompile statement.
>> It's in the INSTALL file.  Step five.
>
> The original issue we were trying to address with
> change_passwd-4.0-1.2.8.tar.gz was, it disabled the entire 'Options' page
> while using compat ver-2.
>
> We didn't think 'step-5' applied to this FreeBSD machine as the 'INSTALL'
> file didn't specifically name it (FreeBSD), leaving us with no reason to
> think 'step-5' applied to our situation or issue; I thought we tested
> 'change_passwd' at least once.  However, I will try 'step-5' now.

It says if the binary isn't working, recompilation is probably called
for... your situation definitely qualifies for that.

> RESULTS:
> gcc -lcrypt -O -o chpasswd chpasswd.c
> chpasswd.c:33:19: error: crypt.h: No such file or directory
>
> A little googling leads us to believe that "the crypt() function is
> defined in unistd.h, not crypt.h".

Either one might work.  Not sure.  What does "man crypt" tell you?
Did you search for those header file and actually look in them for
crypt?

> I tried replacing #include <crypt.h>
> with #include <unistd.h>, remember we're not programmers; chpasswd
> continues to not function on FreeBSD-7.3.

You have to give more details.  What is the compilation output?  What
happens when you run the binary from the command line?

> Given this crypt.h issue,

How do you know that is the case?  Supposedly you fixed that.

> is
> there anything, within reason, that can be done for this machine and
> change_passwd 4.3BATA7;

If you don't have the crypt() function/library on that machine, you
can go get it.

> or should I have a look at Vadmin; provided it
> allows 'users' to change their own password at will.  vpop and the like is
> way too-much, we're not even interested in mysql at this point.

Vadmin would need a local users interface, then.  And it would
probably need crypt() to correctly edit your passwd file, so you're
back to the same issue.

If the BSD "pw" program is working, then you could probably get it to
work, although note the information about it in the plugin
documentation - using it with this plugin involves some security risk.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team

List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):