On 07/13/2015 11:02 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:38:09AM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
Hi,
Hi,

sorry about the vacation-induced delay. This is a very useful proposal,
see inline for my comments.

I've read the wiki according to
#  https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/2706
and I think that it could be helpful clean the page
#  https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DevelTutorials
from "git topic" and create new page for everything related to git.

The motivation is, that:
* Contribute briefly describe whole process on basic level,
* DevelTips looks like How To,
* DevelTutorials are more about technologies, libraries, build process...,
* So there could be one page for everything about git.
                                               ~~~~~~~~~
I think there might be one (or two) page about our development process in,
not neccesarrily git.

As a general comment, my aim when I filed this ticket was to make our
wiki more maintanable. We have too many tasks on our hands already, so
we should make sure all the info on our wiki is up-to-date and if
possible, we have a documented way to update them (maybe in the release
process...perhaps we could say that with every .0 version we update a
selected list of pages?)

NOTES how we could edit wiki:
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Contribute

     Contribute
         Contribution Policy
         Source Code Repository  /*
                                  * There could be only a link to the repo
and
                                  * reference to "New Git page".
The new git page is actually my main concern, see below.

                                  */
             Tips and tricks for developers
         QA, Development and Bug Triage
Hmm, I see another duplication, we have both
     https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/BugLifecycle
and:
     https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Reporting_sssd_bugs
(the latter being my fault)

Can you also take a look at these two with your fresh eyes and consider
merging them?

             Development Repositories
We should add a note to this section linking to Lukas' COPR repo. I was
even considering adding a link to this repo to both the Releases page
and even maybe the front page -- opinions are welcome here!

         Localization and Internationalization
This section needs fixing, we don't use transifex anymore but Zanata.
See the ReleaseProcess page for some more details:
     https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/ReleaseProcess

I think a link to Zanata would be enough here. But at the same time, I
would prefer this section to stay.

         Design Pages
I think this whole section needs to go. We're adding several new design
pages each release so it's not realistic to maintain this page. In order
to track a design, I think the ultimate source is the ticket.

If we want to maintain a section listing open/closed/postponed designs,
then I would prefer to generate them from Trac ticket status. But IMO
it's better to not have this info at all rather than have outdated
info...

     Credits
To be honest, I don't think this section and the page it links to:
     https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/WhoAreWe
is useful and I would vote to remove it. Please note I'm not diminishing
the contributions especially for non-Red Hat people, but I also think
that since we don't really maintain the page, it would be better to
remove it.

The development team info is outdated at least since 2012..

     Latest Documentation and Presentations
I think the documentation is very valuable and needs to stay. Maybe we
could add a sentence saying something like "There is a dedicated page
where we keep our documentation".

https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DevelTips
This page is rather short, what do you say we merge it with Contribute
page?

     SSSD Devel page
         Are there any introductory tutorials available?
             /* + Reference to the new "Git page" */
         When I debug an SSSD process in a debugger, it always gets killed
with …
         Using valgrind to identify memory access problems
         Using strace to track the SSSD processes
         How do I track work-in-progress of other developers?  /*
* Is it
* still valid?
*
* I tried link
* for jhrozek and
* his sssd.git
* and the url
* doesn't exist.
*/
Hmm, which link did you try? I keep my work here these days:
     https://fedorapeople.org/cgit/jhrozek/public_git/sssd.git
or as a git fetch URL:
     git://fedorapeople.org/home/fedora/jhrozek/public_git/sssd.git

         Why does make check take so long?
         Using clang to perform static analysis of source code
         When I compile the SSSD from source there is an error that says …

https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DevelTutorials

     /*
      * Label @new-git-page means
      * that I would like move given paragraph to the "New git page"
      */

     Talloc
     Tevent and tevent_req
     Coding Style
     Code Contributions               /* @new-git-page */
         Getting the source           /* @new-git-page */
         Building SSSD for development and debugging
         Unit tests
         Submitting a patch upstream  /* @new-git-page */
         Patch metadata               /* @new-git-page */
Why do you think we should have one more page and not add the sections
to Contribute? What if we only had Contribute and DevelTips, then we'd
have one page for people who are starting with SSSD development and one
for people who are debugging or need some special advice.

     Translation Contributions
     Devel Tips
These two should be merged elsewhere IMO. I think linking Zanata and the
DevelTips page from the Contribute page might be a good first step.

"New Git page" /* Maybe Git Tips? */

     + paragraph about git setup from Contribute->Source Code Repository
     + some paragraphs of DevelTutorials->Code Contributions

Hi,

I have read the wiki pages. And I have the edited version. It would be difficult to send the diff, so I started a new pages where you can view the result.

Original pages:
[ 1] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Contribute
[ 2] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DevelTips
[ 3] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DevelTutorials
[ 4] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Reporting_sssd_bugs
[ 5] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/BugLifecycle
[ 6] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Repositories

Content of [3] has been divided between [1] and [3], content of [5] has been divided between [1] and [4]. Then [3,5,6] will be deleted.

Test of new pages:
[ 7] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/pcech_test_contribute
[ 8] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/pcech_test_devel_tips
[ 9] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/pcech_test_reporting_sssd_bugs

Note that the links lead to the original pages.
At [7] you can find "COPR Repository" section, but I am not sure with text here. Please look at it. I did not pass the whole wiki. I think there might be a link from [8] (perhaps [9]) on Troubleshooting.

I look forward to your comments, I need the opinions of another persons.

Petr