Many other messaging apps are implementing features for self-destructing
messages. I dismissed the idea for a long time because of the impossibility
of actually enforcing deletion on the other side, but now I believe it
could be useful to help users "automate minimalist data hygiene" [1].

As far as an XMPP extension would be concerned, I think that it would be
important that clients can discover if another client claims to support
message timeouts, to allow for configurable timeouts, and work within the
context of a MUC. None of these hints would affect the current message
archiving specs because the timeouts are strictly for when a client views a
message, but could be used in combination with <no-permanent-store/>, for

Are there other scenarios that I'm missing? Would people be willing to
implement this into their apps? Is formalized spec for this something that
XSF would consider?