On 13 February 2018 at 17:20, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tue, 13 Feb 2018 17:04:36 +0000
> Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> 4) Deprecate XEP-0013 Flexible Offline Message Retrieval
>>
>> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0013.html
>
> Just my 3 cents: this XEP is, from what I know, the only way to disable
> offline messages on a client, so we need a similar mechanism if the XEP
> is going to be deprecated.

Yes, good point.

On a more general note, the process around deprecation is pretty weak
- it might be useful to formally gather feedback about deprecating a
spec in the same way we gather it for advancement.

Currently, anyone can ask the Council to vote, and the Council can
simply do so. That's not really very helpful, and in practise we do
try to solicit opinion from across the community.

As such, I'm thinking of writing something for XEP-0001 that imposes a
last-call-like period for comments - Intent To Deprecate/Obsolete
perhaps - and imposing that on ourselves.

Dave.