On Wed, Feb 14, 2018, at 06:44, Holger Weiß wrote:
> A MAM client might want to purge offline messages to avoid duplicates.

I'm sure we'll discuss this is the council meeting, but to my knowledge this is
the only part of the spec that anything implements now (please correct me if
there is significant adoption of the other parts of the spec).

This means we have a whole spec that looks like it's the recommended way to do
history even though no one actually uses it just so that clients can use one
small part of it to clear MUC history. Deprecating does not mean that clients
will stop doing that, and may encourage us to find a better way to do this (if
one is necessary).

FWIW, this also might be a good footnote in the compliance suites for next year
if someone takes those up. It's worth mentioning that MAM doesn't provide a way
to do this.

—Sam