On 13 February 2018 at 18:55, Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018, at 11:28, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> Currently, anyone can ask the Council to vote, and the Council can
>> simply do so. That's not really very helpful, and in practise we do
>> try to solicit opinion from across the community.
>>
>> As such, I'm thinking of writing something for XEP-0001 that imposes a
>> last-call-like period for comments - Intent To Deprecate/Obsolete
>> perhaps - and imposing that on ourselves.
>
> Please don't. We already have too much process making it impossible for us to
> get anything done in a reasonable time frame. I don't see what problem this
> is solving so I don't see the need for more process to solve something that
> hasn't (to my knowledge) caused any problems.

I do appreciate what you're saying, but:

* The majority of the delay is actually imposed by Council not voting
in time. That is avoidable delay.
* Council voting to deprecate seems like something we should ensure is
done with feedback from the community. The practical way we do this
for other cases is a note to the list with a bit of warning. I don't
think this is process for the sake of process.
* Council this session have completed votes on 20 items (with three
expiries, incidentally), and have a further 5 in progress. I don't see
evidence that we're not getting anything done.
* I don't know what process we have that is "too much". Please do
suggest bits we can get rid of.

This all said, we have three deprecations to vote on today - XEP-0071
I feel I know what the community feeling is, XEP-0137 is mopping-up
the remains of SI, and I'm not concerned about this. Perhaps I'm
overly aware that I haven't much of an idea about XEP-0013's usage.

Dave.