On 13 Feb 2018, at 17:28, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:

> On 13 February 2018 at 17:20, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tue, 13 Feb 2018 17:04:36 +0000
>> Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
>>
>>> 4) Deprecate XEP-0013 Flexible Offline Message Retrieval
>>>
>>> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0013.html
>>
>> Just my 3 cents: this XEP is, from what I know, the only way to disable
>> offline messages on a client, so we need a similar mechanism if the XEP
>> is going to be deprecated.
>
> Yes, good point.
>
> On a more general note, the process around deprecation is pretty weak
> - it might be useful to formally gather feedback about deprecating a
> spec in the same way we gather it for advancement.
>
> Currently, anyone can ask the Council to vote, and the Council can
> simply do so. That's not really very helpful, and in practise we do
> try to solicit opinion from across the community.
>
> As such, I'm thinking of writing something for XEP-0001 that imposes a
> last-call-like period for comments - Intent To Deprecate/Obsolete
> perhaps - and imposing that on ourselves.

It’s not immediately clear to me that this is truly needed. The process as-is
seems sufficiently tight (‘Council votes’) that it’s not causing issues right
now, and I’m not sure that adding a mandatory almost-LC would address possible
future problems (although I think Council getting a feeling of the land before
voting is sensible).

/K