Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:01:31 -0600
Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:

> I'm sure we'll discuss this is the council meeting, but to my
> knowledge this is the only part of the spec that anything implements
> now (please correct me if there is significant adoption of the other
> parts of the spec).

Well, as Daniel noted, blindly purging all offline nodes is risky in a
general case because you don't know if MAM is enabled in user's
preferences. As a work-around you can first request the number of
messages (before sending an initial presence), this, according to the
spec, will automatically disable offline messages flood. In a later
stage you can check if MAM is enabled and if it is, you purge, if it's
not, you retrieve offline messages via any mechanism described in
XEP-0013. Thus, other parts of specs can also be utilized. I know, this
is ugly, but at least doable. For sure, new mechanism is needed in this
situation (such as MAM interface to offline storage, dunno).