On 2019/09/11, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> Version 0.1.0 of XEP-0423 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2020) has been
> released.
>
> Abstract:
> This document defines XMPP protocol compliance levels.

Some feedback, based on the current state of PR[0].

Overall I still don't know what to think about Compliance Suites in
general. I do agree though they're improving the status quo for
discoverability a bit, so thanks for the continuous work on it.

This said, a few things caught my attention as mentioned on xsf@ these
past few days. So here it is:

I don't think 0392 (Consistent Color Generation) should be included at
all.

I don't think Council is competent when it comes to UI/UX, as in it
doesn't have to be within their expertise, it's not required from them.
It's also not what I look for when I vote for council members, it's only
bonus.

I have a similar opinion when it comes to 245 (this XEP is bad in lots
of possible ways), but I'm not going to argue over it because it is
implemented in every possible clients one can think of. And I'm already
present on too many hills.

The mention to "Private XML Storage" should probably refer to a previous
version 0048 using it as a protocol, and not the generic storage
mechanism, at least for clients.

HTTP Upload and OOB are mentioned, but it is not said how to use them
together (I am thinking about the ugly hack of body == oob url). We
might want to detail this or point somewhere that describes it, as much
as I dislike it.

May I suggest to add a "Social" category (or any other appropriate
terminology) to include clients like Movim or Salut-à-Toi. Such category
could contain microblog, and more pubsub related things. I guess edhelas
and goffi have more insights about this than me. XMPP is not simply for
Instant Messaging.

On a positive note, I like the idea of §1.1 "Changes since 2019". I
think this is something that is missing on most XEPs as I always find it
a pain to have to look for changes somewhere else. I hope this is
something that can be worked on in the future.

I also liked §3 "Future Development", which makes it clear that what is
required by the Compliance Suites is not especially here to last and
only the current state. This makes me more enclined to agree with what's
being added to the CSs in general.

Happy Hacking!

[0]: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/compare/master...ge0rg:dd07e90

--