If you use Tiles Definitions, you can get rid of this second jsp(holder jsp) per
page.So you end up writing just one jsp(te body part jsp)per page..

Following is what you do.

Write one jsp which include all the reusable jsps and have the common layout for your
site.
I call this CLassicLayout_template.jsp

It will have includes like this.

<tiles:insert attribute="header" />
<tiles:insert attribute="menu" />
<tiles:insert attribute="bodyContent" />
<tiles:insert attribute="footer" />

with proper layout offcourse.

Then define a base definition for u r site like this in tiles-defs.xml..
 <definition name="base.classicLayout"
path="/WEB-INF/jsp/tiles/classicLayout_template.jsp">
          <put name="header"            value="/WEB-INF/jsp/tiles/header.jsp" />
          <put name="navigation"        value="/WEB-INF/jsp/tiles/sidebar.jsp" />
          <put name="content"           value="${content}"/>
          <put name="footer"            value="/WEB-INF/jsp/tiles/footer.jsp" />
  </definition>

Then per page you just extend this page and overridfe the body portion..

<definition name="cs.admin.homepage" extends="base.classicLayout">
                <put name="content"
value="/WEB-INF/jsp/pages/cs/admin_homepage.jsp"/>
</definition>

In fact, ted Husteds book(Struts In Action)has a very chapter about it.That should
ehlp u.

Regards,
Shirish