Re the comment about Carter and Reagan and metrics.  I was a student in
elementary and middle school during both administrations, and I can vouch for
the fact that attempts to teach us metrics were attempted, and it did seem in
vouge for a while at least in the educational system.  The problem was it was
taught as a chapter and wasn't used exclusively.  In high school science
classes metrics were given almost exclusive use, which is especially helpful
for derived units.
    I also recall attempts to change gasoline sales from gallons to liters,
this went up like a lead balloon since you have the geriatric set that are
both easily confused and very loud complainers.  (Soda pop is successful sold
in liters though...)
    The most humorous thing I've heard though is the sentiment by many in
congress that the metric system is 'communist'!
metrically yours,
Troy